What Are Sugar Alcohols & Why Do We Use Them?
by Barb Kelly | Jul 25, 2018 | Chocolate SweetenersSugar alcohols are a subset of polyols. Technically, polyols “are compounds with multiple functional hydroxyl groups bound to a carbon atom.” That’s a rather complicated definition. For purposes of this article, they are naturally and artificially produced...
Recent News Posts
Sugar-free Keto Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Crisp biscotti covered with nutty, smooth dark or milk chocolate (it’s your choice!) makes a great, light snack for holiday gatherings or coffee breaks during a busy holiday schedule. Use Ross Milk Chocolate or Ross Dark Chocolate to make the biscotti and then choose which to use for the topping—be adventurous and use another flavour, like Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt, to give it a twist. Biscotti can be stored in an airtight container, so make them ahead so you always have them on hand.
Course: Dessert, Snack
Servings: 14 biscotti
- 1.5 cup almond flour
- ½ cup Swerve confectioners sweetener
- 2 tablespoon protein powder unflavoured
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 oz melted Ross Milk Chocolate baking chips melt with 1 tbsp butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup almonds sliced
Coating and toppings
- 6 ounces Ross Dark Chocolate baking chips
- 2 ounces almonds toasted chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer and the first 6 dry ingredients and blend on low to combine.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, except almonds and blend until well incorporated.
- Stir in the almonds and place the dough on a baking pan lined with parchment.
- Form a rectangle about 10 inches in length and 4 inches width.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes then slice. Gently lay the biscotti flat on the pan, cut side down, continue to bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before handling. Gently flip biscotti over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding chocolate coating and toppings.
- Melt the chocolate and dip one end of the biscotti in the melted chocolate, then add chopped toasted almonds. Place in refrigerator to set.
Serving: 1biscotti | Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 153mg | Potassium: 127mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.2mg